You should know that most handmade rugs are rectangular and have standard sizes.
As a general rule, choosing the correct size area rug depends on the dimensions of the room or space you are trying to cover.
Follow these guidelines to determine what size rug will best suit your needs:
- Measure the size of your room. (Measure twice to be sure.)
- Measure the space you want covered. (Follow advice in first bullet.)
- Now place a piece of paper where each of the corners will fall; adjust the “corners” as needed to make the space larger or smaller and then re-measure the area. Be patient and careful.
- If you want to cover the majority of the room, be sure to leave a 12”-15” border of flooring exposed to set off your area rug.
- If you are placing an area rug under your dining room table, select a rug that is large enough so that when seated at the table the back legs of the chairs are on the rug with enough space to push back and get up from the table.