This can be avoided by sweeping, dust mopping or vacuuming regularly to remove loose dirt and grit.
You can use a broom or, to make the job faster, a vacuum cleaner without a beater bar.
Vacuum cleaner attachments are useful to pick up dirt from between planks, tiles or along edges.
An occasional very light damp mopping using laminate floor cleaner is also suggested. However, your laminate flooring can expand if excessive water is used while cleaning. Your mop should be damp, not wet.
After damp mopping, a clean dry cloth should be used to wipe your floor thoroughly.
Placing doormats or walk-off mats at each entryway will collect excessive moisture and dirt before they enter your home.
Do’s and don’ts you should know about.
- Glides or floor protectors on the bottom of your furniture will prevent possible scratching or abrasion.
- It’s important to lift heavy furniture instead of dragging or pulling the piece.
- Use pieces of carpet face down under heavy objects when moving them across your floor.
- Spot cleaning and occasional complete cleaning of your laminate floor can be done using the manufacturer’s recommended products.
- Never use abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring powder.
- Don’t use soap-based detergents or “mop-and-shine” products.
- Never flood your floor with water or cleaner. In all cases, less is best, especially when it comes to water.
- Don’t wax or polish your laminate floor.
- Never try to refinish or sand your laminate floor.
- Durable but not indestructible, your laminate floor can be damaged by heavy or sharp objects.
- But the good news is that the finish on your laminate floor can help protect the floor from sunlight and the typical fading you find with aging hardwood floors.
- Keep in mind that if a repair is necessary in the future, the replacement product may be a slightly different dye lot and/or texture than the initial installation.
For additional care procedures please refer to the manufacturer’s care and maintenance instructions and recommendations.
By understanding and following these basic care guidelines you can be confident that your laminate flooring will provide you with many years of beauty and lasting performance.