Here’s some helpful advice on how to keep your laminate floors looking new.
- Entry mats will help collect the dirt, sand, grit and other substances such as oil, asphalt or driveway sealer that might otherwise be tracked onto your floor.
- To prevent slippage of area rugs, use an approved vinyl rug underlayment.
- Use floor protectors and wide-load bearing leg bases/rollers to minimize the chance of indentations and scratches from heavy objects. As a rule, the heavier the object, the wider the floor protector.
- Maintain a normal indoor relative humidity level between 35 percent and 65 percent throughout the year to minimize the natural expansion and contraction of the wood.
- Heating season (Dry): A humidifier is recommended to prevent excess shrinkage due to low humidity levels. Wood stove and electric heat tend to create very dry conditions.
- Non-Heating Season (Wet): An air conditioner, dehumidifier or periodically turning on your heating will help to maintain humidity during summer months.
- Avoid excessive exposure to water during periods of inclement weather.
- Keep your pet’s nails trimmed to prevent them from scratching your floor.
- Never try to slide heavy objects across the floor.
- Use a protective mat for furniture or chairs with castors.
Source: Shaw Floors