Durability and cost are two factors to consider when choosing a hardwood floor for your home. Hardwood floors, when properly maintained, can last many years and look beautiful. They also add value to your home. Learn more in this brief video from Bona.
Don’t you love spring? Trees are blooming, perennials are pushing their heads up from winter sleep, and home tours are bursting out all over Atlanta. One of our favorites is the Druid Hills Tour of Homes and Gardens, which is scheduled April 12-14, 2019. The six homes and one garden showcase the work of master architects, interior designers, general contractors, and landscape designers.
The homes include a 1918 traditional home with a small goat farm in the back, a 1923 bungalow whose owners are avid folk art collectors, a 1919 house with its own ghosts, a 1924 replica of an Italian villa, and a contemporary home with moldings, fireplaces, and herringbone floors that give a nod to the historic neighborhood.
Sponsored by the Druid Hills Civic Association, the tour will benefit historic preservation and green space restoration. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 on tour weekend. Go here to learn more.
What design ideas have you picked up from previous home tours?
Photo: Shaw Floors
Unlike furniture and décor, flooring trends shift and evolve slowly, making it possible to select a style that stays fresh for years. Here’s a list of time-tested trends that have captured the attention of flooring and design experts.
Delustered flooring—meaning no glossy finishes—creates a dry, European look. Choose hardwood with a raw, hand-hewn appearance and carpet with a woolen, cottony finish. These styles shine without any added luster.
The trend is moving away from exotic looks to a feeling that’s more familiar. The classic nature of these traditional domestic grains has another benefit; knowing exactly where the wood is sourced ensures environmental responsibility as well as quality.
Play With Patterns
This is no passing fad. Patterned carpet can create layers of texture that add plenty of visual interest to any space. Choose a classic pattern to accent your style without overwhelming it.
When picking your planks for hardwood looks, go for wide and long. These bigger pieces add just the right amount of modern for a clean look that’s still traditional.
Not all floors are truly bespoke, or made-to-order, but trends are leaning toward floors that are made-to-last. Choose a high-quality floor with unique details for a look that will be in style for a long time.
Source: Shaw Floors
- Why should a homeowner consider placing a small or large area rug in a particular room? Area rugs are an excellent option to accent a room and protect hardwoods from excessive wear. They also provide comfort in a gathering space.
- What are the benefits of using a rug? Since many homes have hardwoods and tile, rugs protect from heavy wear and tear. They also help with sound reduction.
- What different rug fabrics, colors, styles, shapes and sizes are available today that perhaps weren’t available years ago? Area rugs are more often made from carpet, which provides flexibility in size, shape, color and pattern. We are able to provide a custom rug within three to six weeks. Many pre-made rugs come in standard sizes that no longer fit larger spaces and to order a custom size can take several months.
- In which rooms are area rugs most effective and why? All rooms that need softness, warmth or an extra element of design are good candidates for an area rug.
- What are some things a homeowner should consider before choosing the perfect rug for their chosen living space? Clients should consider the use of the space. 1-Stain resistant fibers like nylon and polypropylene are best for spaces with heavy traffic, children and pets. Wool is a very durable and luxurious option. Sisal and Seagrass are natural choices that can be accented with fabric borders. 2-The size of the rug can be determined by the room or the seating space. Dining tables should always be 18 to 24 inches larger on each side to allow easy movement of chairs. 3-When choosing a rug you should have swatches or pictures of your current furnishings and fabrics. Rugs can be used to create a neutral canvas for a bold room or as an accent in a monochromatic design.
- What is the expected lifespan of an area rug before you should consider replacing it? Area rugs require proper cleaning maintenance to achieve the longest life span, just like carpet. The fabric quality and location can also dictate the lifespan.
- Any other tips or suggestions on this topic? When shopping for a rug bring fabric swatches, pictures of the space and a rough dimension of the room. This helps the designer or the sales person make informed suggestions.
Source: Leslie Waller, MODA Floors & Interiors project consultant/designer
Whether you’re building a new abode or refreshing an existing one, attending one or more of metro Atlanta’s spring home tours is a great way to soak up some new design ideas for your home. Plus you’ll get to experience the flavor and learn about the history of the various communities.
In addition to the Tour of Homes, the Inman Park Spring Festival, scheduled April 27-29, includes three stages of music all weekend, dance performances and a kids’ play zone. Inman Park is one of Atlanta’s oldest and most scenic neighborhoods. See inside some of the beautiful Victorian homes or check out some of the remodeling jobs neighbors have completed on their houses. Tour of Homes tickets are $20 in advance or $25 starting April 27. Get details at http://inmanparkfestival.org/events/tour-of-homes/.
Scheduled April 20-22, the Druid Hills Tour of Homes & Gardens, a volunteer project of the Druid Hills Civic Association, benefits historic preservation and green space restoration. The weekend includes a plant sale, a history display and the debut of “History Happens Here,” a film about the development of the Druid Hills community. Advance tickets are $25. The price increases to $30 on April 20. Learn more at http://www.DruidHillsTour.org.
Experience what more makes the Kirkwood community special during the 16th Annual Kirkwood Spring Fling & Tour of Homes on May 19. The event includes a 5K, an artist market, live music and food from local vendors. All proceeds go to benefit the Kirkwood Neighbors’ Organization, a local 501c3 non-profit group dedicated to community improvement. The Tour of Homes takes place on Saturday and Sunday. Go to http://www.kirkwoodfling.com/ for additional information.
Have you been to any of these tours?
This brief video offers tips on how to prevent scratches on your wood floors and what you can do about them if they are already there.
Did you know MODA Floors & Interiors is a Bona Certified Craftsman?
You can create a unique look with simple upgrades such as borders, medallions, distressing, painting floors, mixed media and staining.
- Borders create a frame effect. They can incorporate multiple wood species, stone, marble, brass, stainless steel, nickel and other metals.
- Medallions are installed in the main field of the floor. They can incorporate multiple wood species, stone, metal and leather. Medallions also can be routed into existing floors.
- Distressing offers an antiqued appearance. Hand-scraping is the most-common distressing technique used to achieve a worn look.
- Painted floors transform an ordinary wood floor into something unique. Features such as borders or other design elements can be added and sanded off later.
- Mixed media mixes wood with other materials. A marble and wood foyer makes a dramatic entryway, while brushed nickel accents in your kitchen wood floor could showcase your appliances.
- Staining can give your existing wood floors an entirely new look very affordably. Light, medium and dark stains transform your floors without replacement
Source: National Wood Flooring Association