The fastest way to change the mood or character of a room is to add an area rug. Area rugs are products that beautify your home, are easy to care for, stand the test of time and can meet your specific comfort, performance and budget requirements.
Why choose an area rug for your home?
- With a proper pad, they can go over any flooring type, including wall-to-wall carpet.
- You can change them each season or as your style changes.
- They offer softness, warmth and sound absorption.
- The cost spectrum is as wide and varied as the type of rug you choose.
- “Machine-made” rugs can mimic handmade rugs at reduced costs.
- Color is more affordable than ever.
- They can be a design centerpiece and also help define a space for life’s activities.
Keep your area rugs looking great for many years to come with regular upkeep. Vacuum or sweep your rug as you would wall-to-wall carpeting. Depending on traffic patterns in the room, rotate your rug 180 degrees every few months or every year. All parts of the rug should be exposed to an equal amount of traffic so that the pile wears evenly. Have your rug washed by a professional every two to five years depending on the traffic on the rug.
Photo: Shaw Floors