Choosing the best area rug for your home is really about knowing the right combination of characteristics, aesthetics, performance and budget to best meet the needs of your lifestyle.
Size and Shape:
- Rugs are available in different sizes and in different shapes.
- The most common sizes are 2’x3’, 4’x6’, 5’x8’, 6’x9’, 8’x10’ and up. Custom sizes are also available.
- Shapes – rectangle, round, square, oval, octagon or runners.
- Choose the correct size depending on the dimensions of the room or space.
- Measure the size of your room and measure the space you want covered.
- Place pieces of paper where each of the corners will fall.
- Adjust the “corners” as needed to make the space larger or smaller.
- Re-measure the area.
- To cover the majority of the room, leave a 12”-15” border.
- Under the dining table, select a rug that is large enough so that when seated at the table the back legs of the chairs are on the rug with enough space to push back and get up from the table.
- Think outside the box.
- Vital element – machine made or handmade.
- Select a rug with colors to visually enhance the decor.
- The rug colors don’t have to match other colors in the room.
- Choose colors that either contrast or complement a color scheme.
- Pattern is the way lines are used to form shapes on a rug.
- They are divided into three categories: curvilinear, geometric and pictorial.
- Woven with curving lines (curvilinear) or straight lines (geometric).
- Pictorial refers to rugs that portray people and/or animals.
Need help selecting the perfect area rug for your room? Please visit our showroom and talk with one of our dedicated project consultants.
Photo: Shaw Floors